Saturday, February 23, 2013

Bruce Springsteen honored as MusiCares person of the year

Lets Raise our Glass to MusiCares  Person of the Year, Mr  Bruce Springsteen 

There is no such question, do I love Bruce? My husband may ask,  how much do I love Bruce? I can't even answer that question. I breathe, live, take in as much as I can and adore anything Bruce. My husband has asked my 5 year old, "Who's Mommy's boyfriend?" Her answer and I love it, "Bruce Springsteen." She may be the only 5 year old on the planet that knows every one of his songs by heart. Her favorite is Ghost of Tom Joad but she calls it, Ghost of Tom John. ;)  Bruce Springsteen is  almost a  God to me. Bruce Springsteen brings out any inspiration in me. Bruce Springsteen has helped me be me.  He is a believer of words as I have always known I was.  He takes his words Literary and stands behind them, something I wish I could do. Since the 70s, Bruce has been talking and it seemed like no one was listening. You're listening now, aren't you, you corporate Aholes? Bruce will take you from the depths of hell but bring you out as a king.  Bruce  Springsteen, in my opinion, is writing at its finest. Greetings From Asbury Park (73) Brilliant! , The Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle (73) Transcending!, Born to Run (75) All I can say is, DAMN!, and Darkness on the Edge of Town (78 and the year I was born) What an album, I'm actually speechless here!,  are my top favorite albums. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE them ALL!!! Oh, who could forget Tunnel of Love!?!  Some of the Best love songs out there. One of my favorite lines off this album is, " And it's a thin, thin line But I want you to know I'd walk  it for you anytime." Ah, my heart melts! But I digress. 

 If his words (sung by him) are in the forefront and the E Street Band are in the background those melodies collide and its like being transformed into the person you always thought you might become. If you're seeing him live you've been transformed and taken somewhere besides the dusty old arena but somewhere spiritual and inspirational. I've had the privilege of seeing him live three times. My first show was the Magic Tour in Atlanta, Ga. Ahhh... I fell hard! The second show was in my hometown, Greenville, SC (on my wedding anniversary) and I was able to be in the pit and got to spank his behind. One of the highlights of my life besides giving birth to my daughter. And early last year I got to see him in Greensboro, NC, again in the pit and I actually stood next to his daughter, Jessie. I couldn't get the nerve up to talk to her, but her parents tribute to her was very touching. Here is this Rock N Roll icon swooning over his beloved daughter. His eyes lit up at the sight of her. So honored I got to witness this touching, heartfelt moment. It will stay with me. And, I've never been a huge fan of his wife, Patti ( only out of pure jealousy) but I am now after seeing what a caring mother she is. I could see how proud and excited she was to have this surprise tribute to her daughter. So, damn it, Patti. You got on my good side. :)  I am also lucky to know a set engineer who toured with Bruce this year across seas. He gave me his crew t shirt and badge and also bought me a Born to Run t-shirt! Thank you, Michele.  I cherish them all! 

Not only has Bruce shared his brilliance with us through his records and writing but he has also shared his time with helping President Obama win another 4 years. I have to say, I think Bruce had a HUGE hand in that. He played in the 12-12-12 benefit for Sandy Relief. How fitting. Sandy is a song on The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. Let's just say, Bruce didn't become MusiCares person of the year by not being the charitable person he is. He has also been honored with the Kennedy Center Honors and many, many more. 

Awards he has won and man there are A LOT! I'm sure I'm leaving some out, but here ya go. 

Inducted to Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 1999, Rammy Award  for Best Original Song " The Streets of Philadelphia" 93, Polar Music Prize 97, MTV Music Video Award "Dancing in the Dark" 85, MTV Video Music Award "Streets of Philadelphia" 94, Meteor Ireland Music Award for best international  male  2008, Juno Award  for Album of them Year for Born in the USA 85, Grammy Award for Best Rock Vocal Performance " Dancing in the Dark 85, Grammy Award for Best Rock Vocal Solo Performance " Tunnel of Live 88, Grammy Award for Best Rock Song " Streets of Philadelphia" 95, Grammy Award for Best Rock Vocal Performance " Streets of Philadelphia 95, Grammy for Song of the Year " Streets of Philadelphia" 95, Grammy for Best Song Written for a Motion Picture or for Television ( from movie "Philadelphia") "Streets of Philadelphia" 95, Grammy for Best Contemporary Folk Album "The Ghost of Tom Joad" 97, Grammy for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance " The Rising" 2003, Grammy for Best Rock Album "The Rising" 03, Grammy for Best Rock Song " The Rising" 03, Grammy for Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group " Disorder In The House 04, Grammy for Best Rock Vocal Solo Performance "Code Of Silence" 05, Grammy for Best Rock Vocal Solo Performance " Devils & Dust" 06, Grammy for Best Traditional Folk Album " We Shall Overcome -The Seeger Sessions" 07, Grammy for Best Music Video, Long Form "Wings for Wheels: The Making of Born to Run" 07, Grammy for Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance "Radio Nowhere" 08, Grammy for Best Rock  Song "Radio Nowhere"08, Grammy for Best Rock Instrumental Performance "Once Upon a Time in the West" 08, Grammy for Best Rock Song " Girls in Their Summer Clothes" 09, Grammy for Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance "Working on a Dream"2010, Golden Globe for Best Original Song-Motion Picture from movie "Philadelphia" "Streets of Philadelphia" 94, Golden Globe for Best Original Song-Motion Picture "The Wrestler" 09, BFCA Award for Best Song " The Wrestler" 08, Brit Award for Best International Solo Artist 86, ASCAP Film and Television Music Award for Most Performed Songs from Motion Pictures "Philadelphia" 1993 'Streets of Philadelphia" 95, American Music Award for Favorite Pop/Rock Single  " Dancing in the Dark" 84, American Music Award for Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist Video 85, American Music Award for Favorite Pop/Rock Album "Born in the USA"85, American Music Award for Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist 85, Oscar for Best Music, Original Song ( from movie Philadelphia) " Streets of Philadelphia" 94, Oscar for Best Music, Original Song ( from movie the Wrestler) "The Wrestler" 
Whewwww...... Next time I'll just put up a link for that. Wow!! Didn't realize my morning would be taken up with writing Bruce's awards list. I'd do anything for that man, though. 

So, needless to say, I am a HUGE fan. My friends and family know if I'm around Bruce will be, too. I carry my Bruce collection of cd's everywhere I go and when I have parties at my house Bruce's documentaries are playing on the tv. I have a favorite to play and it's him playing at Hammersmith in the early 70s. I recommend every Springsteen fan to buy the Born to Run box set. The making of Born to Run called Wings for Wheels (he won an award for), live at Hammersmith, Born to Run cd and a little book of pictures come with it. It's Awesome!!! Also, I have a few book recommendations for fans, as well.  
Bruce by Peter Ames Carlin,  Down Thunder Road (Making of Bruce Springsteen) by Marc Elliott and Mike Appel and a book called Journey to Nowhere by Dale Maharidge. Journey to Nowhere had a huge influence on him making The Ghost of Tom Joad album. Bruce also writes the forward in it.  

So, if we could all raise our glasses and cheers a brilliant and caring man on all of his accomplishments! Congratulations Bruce!! Lord knows you've earned it!! 

Ryan Perry White 

2 comments:

  1. Such passionate writing from a passionate heart! Keep it up literary lioness!!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Jac! Thank you! That means SO much coming from The REAL writer!

    ReplyDelete